Thursday 5 August 2010

Queen Sylvia's shawl


I absolutely love to knit Estonian lace shawls. In the book "Knitted laces of Estonia" Nancy Bush have collected many beautiful patterns. My favourite pattern in the book is the Queen Sylvia Shawl. This shawl was designed for the Swedish queen, Sylvia, and given to her when she visited Tallinn in 1992. The main motif in the shawl is the lily of the valley with butterfly stitches on top. The pattern is relatively easy to knit, but the knobs and butterfly stitches require some practice. If this is the first time knitting knobs, this is a fine shawl to start with, since the knobs only consist of five stitches. I knitted this shawl in a fine black Italian mohair yarn I found at my local yarn supplier. I plan to wear this shawl with my black Christmas dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment